Tuesday, February 26, 2008

w5 MacWorld 2008 conference


Wow! I indeed enjoy the advanced technology when “ watching” the lecture. I relaxed myself on the bed, clicked the stop and play bottoms whenever I need, used the screen print skill to capture the images or the contents I like from the slides, opened a new tab to look for the resources mentioned in the presentation, looked up online dictionary for the vocabulary I don’t know, and typed in the terms for more information. I have done so many things and gotten so much information within one and a half of hours and only using my laptop. Cool.

I am not net generation, but I have to confess myself that I don’t like reading textbooks; I prefer to get my information from talking and listening. I would like use of visual images in conjunction with text, a feat easily accomplished through animation and diagrams on the web. I am NOT net generation but in a rapidly evolving information ecology.

What is web 2.0? According to the presentation, I summarize following key points:
• A platform
• A mashup
• Everyone creates and publishes content
• Participation
• Collaboration

I especially like what he said “ Every click should meet user’s expectations and lead them toward a goal. I will put it in mind when I design my final project.”

In addition, I am interested in two e-learning projects he mentioned: “ Explore Jazz” and “ Ariel: A reader’s Interactive Exploration of Literature”. They seem like apply to my learning preference. Maybe some of the idea can be use in my creative work.

2 comments:

Giovanna Tuccori said...

"Every click should meet the user's expectations." Great idea but will we be able to do it?

Marcus P. said...

Perhaps you can ask Kenn to show you his classical music course he developed for 715. It had some great graphics and A/V elements.

Interestingly enough, I find myself reading more these days (electronic and printed media)and enjoying it. I remember hating to read textbooks for school and reading for pleasure was not something I enjoyed.

I will say that I tend to read more online as the information is chunked in a way that makes it seem like I am reading less. However, after clicking thru pages in an article, I've probably read just as much!