Tuesday, April 15, 2008

interface analysis

Wetapint is my target interface to analyses since I am considering using it as the platform of my final project, English e-learning website with web 2.0.
As a novice, I found wetapint is not so easy to “play around”. I guess the main reason might be I am not familiar with website design, that is, I might not have an accurate concept map of writing a web page.

Site pros:
  • A tutorial video showing me how to build a personal wiki site
  • One person can create more than one site
  • In “my wetpaint wikis”, it shows me the wiki(s) you have created and the wikis you have joined.
  • Navigation buttons are corresponded to my concept map, I have no difficulty to find them.
  • It generates the sitemap for the creator and users.
  • In “setting”, I have the right to decide who can edit or add my page and who can post threads; I can create my won template; I can choose my page style; I can rename my site name and add header image.
  • Since the website is for education, I can contact with the custom service and ask for ad free.
  • The pages I create can show their hierarchical structure, which is able for me to design several modules for my target learners.
  • It provides threads so I can use it to interact with my target learners.
  • It can embed most of web 2.0 tools , such as youtube, ovicethread, flickr, etc.
  • “edit” is familiar as Word.

Site cons:
  • It’s difficult to “add page” in the right position of the hierarchical structure. If I add in the wrong place, I have problem to move it to the right spot. Buttons of “add page” and “move page”, ”delete page”, “rename page” are not nearby. They are supposed to be grouping together.
  • Once I name the page, for example “itec830-assignment1”; even though later on I delete it, I can use the name “itec830-assignment1” no more.
  • It provides users with sitemap; however, it shows at the very bottom of the web page with rather small font size and with a group of non-associated information.
  • It can’t not play the function of e-learning website providing the practice activities, such like multiple choice questions, true or false questions and so on and so forth.

In sum, I found wetpaint has the most functions I need for the project, except the last flaw which is my most concern, not be able to provide immediate feedback. If I can’t figure out the solution, well, then I have to find another platform instead.

3 comments:

Doris's ITEC830 Blog said...

I agree with you...I still need to find out how to add page, change content and title. The text size is little bit small for me to read. There are too many AD on the site. I like "clear" page.

kurt_itec830 said...

- so much to do on your blog! Your interface analysis is very well done. Is your husband jealous because your cat has a starring role in your blog and not him?

Giovanna Ghio said...

I found your 'cons' interesting. I agree that the link to rename, move, edit a page - when wnating to put it in a different part of the navigation tree structure is *completely* frustrating, and does not make sense where it currently is. I think users will forget where that navigation command is.