Friday, April 4, 2008

Well Design Every Day Things

My two favorite tools in the kitechen

Joseph Joseph Chop 2 Pot.
This innovative chopping board uses the latest technology in polypropylene living hinges, when the handle is squeezed the board folds into a chute to help guide diced and chopped food into the pot. This product is dishwasher safe and comes with a 3 year guarantee.
Size: 38cm x 22cm x 1cm
I bought it at a damn good price $6.99 ( the original price is $14.99) at Macy's, SF downtown. I was longing for this product when in Taiwan. Finally, I got it. Hooray. Beautiful and handy.
More information:
http://www.josephjoseph.com/


Kyocera Revolution Series 5.5" Ceramic Santoku Knife

Advantages of Ceramic Knives
1. Ultra-Sharp Long Life Blade: Holds its edge much longer than steel. Lasts many months or years without sharpening.
2. Stain and Rust Proof: Impervious to the food acids which discolor steel products.
3. No Metallic Taste or Smell: Maintains the fresh taste of food. Won't brown fruits and vegetables.
4. Easy to Clean: Non-stick ceramic surface makes for easy clean-up.
5. Easy to Use: Lightweight and perfect balance make it a pleasure to use(Does not cover cutting bones, prying or flexing).

I fell in love with ceramic knives at the first time using them. Actually, I used a ceramic peeler first since it cost less and I wanted to know if it was as good as the salesman's description. Well, again it is damn good, and I got it with half of the original price. Now, I can easily cut a big watermelon into halves without kick with my favorite ceramic knife. In fact, the ceramic knife is one of the few things that I insisted to bring from Taiwan. HA!
More information:
http://www.metrokitchen.com/kyocera/
Am I a ceramic knife salesman? The company should pay me. HA!

Even though I love both stuff, they have their own down sides. I looked around my surroundings, and found no design products I was 100% satisfied with; no matter how much I have spent . The design of every day thing...can be well, but not perfect.

2 comments:

Giovanna Ghio said...

"found no design products I was 100% satisfied with; no matter how much I have spent . The design of every day thing...can be well, but not perfect."

I have to say that the above quote from your post makes me happy - even if it seems like it shouldn't. I look at this as an affirmation that there is plenty of need for people like us to create solutions to improve life. If it were not for our ability to see where things fail or need improvement, progress and improvement would be slow to happen. Seeing shortcomings and thinking how to fix them is a wonderful thing.

Monsties said...

This chapter really made me think about all the design flaws around me. I think you mentioned in class that you were relieved after reading this chapter because there are a lot of products and instructions you can't understand. I feel the same way. I never realized how poor design really effected my life, you just kinda learn to ignore things and deal with it and you wonder "dammit, what's wrong with me? I keep spilling my coffee today. I'm so clutzy." but it's not me, it's the ridiculously designed coffee cup or the cup holder in my car that is too narrow to hold any sort of beverage.
In many cases it is probably me being clutzy too, but I feel better blaming it on bad design.
I'm rambling, sorry...