Friday, April 25, 2008

Web 2.0 Expo


Doris, Mei-Ling and I went to the conference on Thursday afternoon- Booth Crawl in the Expo Hall. The fist booth we stopped by is called Zude. According to its ad: it is a new social computing platform offering users an unprecedented level of freedom and creativity. Using an endless supply of free web pages, groundbreaking drag-and-drop technology and a complete set of social networking features, users can create a media-rich website experience to share with the world.
It sounds pretty interesting. Maybe it can play the platform for my final project. However, when I try to join, I couldn’t find the submit button in the signup area. Too bad. I browsed the website for a while, the interface is not friendly to me. Too many “new terms” are not in my concept map about the web authoring. And the tool bar doesn’t make sense to me. In other words, if I want to use it, I need to spend quite a lot of time to figure out how.

The other tool I am interested in is called “bluestring”, which is a centralized location for preserving your photos, videos and music. Users can easily incorporate media from multiple locations into slideshows and creations that can be shared easily with family and friends. So the main points are
  • Share exclusively with whom you choose and no one else. Your media never leaves your BlueString account. You are always in control of who can see your BlueString stuff.
  • Publish your photos or videos into your own blog or website.
  • Create links that you can share or post wherever you choose.
  • Just drag and drop the stuff you want to share.

So the idea is different from flickr. I am still playing it. Well, there is no video tutorial; I am kind of not used to. HA! And I have to sign up first to get deeper understanding, which made me a little bit uncomfortable. Anyway, hope to find some useful functions in education.

2 comments:

kurt_itec830 said...

good post - I didn't even see the companies you mentioned - they both look like good tools to know

Marcus P. said...

After we chatted online about these 2 sites, I checked them out. They are really neat, but since they offer services that are the same as Flickr, Picasa, et al, I just wonder how they will differentiate themselves? What's makes them the leader of the pack?

The conference really reminded me of the golden days of the dot.com (circa 1999). So many companies in competition with one another with like product offerings. Do you think another 'bust' is just waiting to happen?